Tuesday 16 October 2012


Dear students,

Every term Burlington Books runs a writing competition. Would you like to participate? 

Autumn Term 2012-2013 Writing Competition

What a better way to start off the new academic year than with a Burlington Books competition, where you can win amazing prizes!

Theme: The London 2012 Summer Olympics
Write about your memories of the London 2012 Summer Olympics.

The competition is open to all ESO and Batxillerat classes. There’s no word limit.
Closing Date: 21st December 2012

We at Burlington Books wish you all a productive and successful academic year,
and good luck in the competition!

Sample entry:
 
Sample 1

This summer, I went on holiday with my parents to Oxford in England. My dad told me that he had a big surprise for me but I didn’t know what to expect. All week, I was watching the news about the Olympic Games. I’m not very good at sports, but I like to watch my country competing.

One day, my dad took us out for lunch to a nice restaurant by the river. We decided to eat traditional food, so I ate fish and chips with mushy peas. When we left the restaurant, I could see lots and lots of people outside. Some of the people had gold faces. There were lots of metal barriers and police cars everywhere. I didn’t understand what was happening. More people arrived. I looked at my dad and he just smiled. We moved to stand by the barrier, but I couldn’t see anything. I was very confused.

Eventually, lots of strange vehicles appeared and behind them, there was a girl running. She was carrying something strange. Then I realised that we were watching the Olympic Torch Relay!


Sample 2

I love swimming and I like to practise at my local leisure centre. During the summer, I spent lots of time swimming there and I swam at the beach, too. Because I love swimming, I watched all the swimming events in the London Olympics this year. The best part of the London Olympics for me was when Mireia Belmonte came second in the 200m butterfly event. Mireia is only 21 years old and she is the first Spanish swimmer to win two Olympic medals.

She is an inspiration to me because she is allergic to chlorine and she also has asthma, but she still swims because it’s what she loves to do. She also loves the colour pink, which is my favourite colour and she paints her nails before every race!

My dad told me that we hosted the Olympics in Barcelona in 1992. I hope one day that we can host the Summer Olympics again, so that I can go see athletes swimming the butterfly and doing diving competitions. My dream is to maybe compete one day, just like Mireia.


No comments: